Friday, September 17, 2010

Pshhhh....Who needs Band-aids?

Let's just start with a few points.
1. I'm sorry I am so lax on blogging. I have a list of products I must discuss, I really do (including my hairstyle the other day that some of you just RAVED over...) I have just been crazy busy with work. Will try to get better.
2. I am so tired of being hot. Today it was 95...NINETY FIVE...in Baton Rouge. Ugh. I can't take it anymore. SUMMER WE BROKE UP. GO. AWAY.

Now. Let's talk products. This is not so much of a product, but an idea. Some background. The transition from summer to fall involves changes in makeup, clothes, scents, foods, and, one of my favs...shoes. The flip flops get pushed to the back of the closet in favor of flats, heels, and boots. Now. Typically this is not a huge issue. If you work in an office, you are pretty well equipped to wear close-toed shoes. However, if you work from home you may have some issues. I may or may not have spent 99% of the past couple of months completely barefoot. So when I went to work a few weeks ago with my new ballerina flats, I had some blister management to take care of.

Typically, I prevent blisters and such with Band-aids. Pretty standard procedure, right? Well. Thanks to two dancer friends (A and K) I have found something better, cheaper, and sturdier than Band-aids. Plain old first aid tape.

Photo courtesy of walgreens.com

There's paper, cloth, waterproof, you name it. I personally prefer the cloth. It's basically transparent once on your foot (see the pic below? You can barely see the tape). And it stays on MUCH better than a bandaid.


And this stuff is cheap. I was wasting money buying Band-aids. I mean, they are handy for having in your purse in an emergency, but Band-aids are really meant to protect cuts not stop blisters. Blisters are formed by friction between your shoe and the upper layer of skin (science lesson o' the day), so all you really need to do is prevent rubbing directly ON the skin. That is easily accomplished with tape.

And let's just talk savings here for a second. My hubs, T, has recently gotten ALL KINDS of interested in our personal finances, so we're trying to budget a bit better. The little things add up. If one Band-aid is 1", and 30 come in a box for $4, that's $0.13 an inch.  Compare that to $4.50 for 20 YARDS (720") of tape...that's $0.006 an inch. You basically get 720 Band-aids for the price of 30. I mean, you can even triple layer the tape if you need to make SURE you don't get a blister (one layer stopped it for me). For reals. Cheap cheap cheap.

I may be totally late to this party. But when something like this occurs to me, I just have to share.

2 comments:

  1. I am ALSO late to this party! Thanks for sharing!

    PS. They Dont call him T-money for nothin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want something that really works you should try Comfy Tape. its clear and super soft but stays in place. it took away my girlfriend and i's shoe pain

    ReplyDelete