Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Who needs 3 types of shampoo? Me.

I should be studying, but I'm going to blog.

I can't BELIEVE I haven't talked about hair products other than dry shampoo yet. I have probably bought every shampoo/conditioner on the planet. I have 3 types of shampoo and two conditioners (with another two under the sink) in my shower right now. Currently, I'm using John Frieda Root Awakening and L'Oreal EverPure. Both are pretty decent. The EverPure doesn't contain harsh chemicals so it's supposed to keep color bright (and for the girl who has dyed her hair since 10th grade, this is a good thing). I haven't decided if I love it, but it smells GREAT (rosemary and mint), so I'll keep it for awhile. I also always keep Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo on hand at all times. Use it about once every week or two weeks to get rid of styling product goo. That's the subject of a whole other post...Anyway, conditioners of the same brand. I also have Neutrogena Triple Renewal Conditioner and Aveda Blue Malva (a blond tone corrector) under the sink for occasional use. Blue Malva works well to kinda brighten blond tones and get rid of any brassiness. John Frieda has recently come out with a cheaper version that I plan to try once I run out of Aveda.

Overall brands I have tried and liked:
1. Paul Mitchell Shampoo One and The Detangler
2. Bumble and Bumble (on the somewhat pricer side, but good)
3. John Frieda
4. Currently, L'Oreal EverPure. We'll see if it sticks

Brands that I have not liked:
1. Garnier Fructis (kinda made my hair slimy)
2. Dove (weighed my hair down, but may be good for folks with really dry hair)
3. Herbal Essences (just not that great)
4. Fredrick Fekkai (tried a sample from Sephora. WAY heavy on the grease factor, especially in BR with it's soft water).

Happy shopping/shampooing! If any of you have fav brands, comment so others can see!

p.s. I should note on the dry shampoo...this stuff is for touch-ups. If you try to rock it out when you are getting super sweaty and/or wet...you will have the equivalent of wet baby powder in your hair. Keep that in mind.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh that Loreal sounds interesting! I need some new shampoos and conditioners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok..I'm just catching up on your blog but I must weigh in on the hair thing....I am obsessed with my hair and have found the holy grail of hair product lines. Kerastase. I use the Bain Satin 3 and the Thick Masque for thick hair. It costs a fortune in salons but I buy a 6 month supply on Ebay for a little less than $200. I also use the oleo relax serum before straightening. Your hair isn't as dry as mine so some of the other formulas of shampoo/cond. may work better for you. I tried the Chroma Reflect line, it's their formula for colored hair. I loved it but it wasn't moisturizing enough for me. Also tried the Oleo Relax shampoo and masque...same there...liked it fine but needed more moisture. I've had Kerastase Aqua Oleum treatments in salons for much dinero but bought the same thing on ebay for $12 and did it myself at home...LOVE this brand. Yes, it is expensive, but your hair is an accessory you wear every day...and I'm worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy I agree--Kerastase IS the holy grail. When I get out of grad school I'm going back to it...

    ReplyDelete