Monday, May 17, 2010

My sister has some awesome hair.

So my sister has some pretty awesome hair. It's very long, naturally pretty auburn, and lately I've become obsessed with it. So I thought I would ask her how she styles it and keeps it looking so damn healthy and shiny, because I plan on trying to grow mine out as well. Please reference exhibit A and B below. Sorry for the pic quality! I tried not to make them too fuzzy.

Here's her rundown. I've put the big stuff in bold:
"sooo my hair...really i've just almost completely quit drying it...i dry it maybe once or twice a week. I think it has a lot to do with the cut, i just told her I wanted layers, so my hair had movement and that I wanted my bangs short to swoop across my forehead...when i do dry it i try not to straighten it too much and the pic i just have it bobby pins criss crossed like middle back on one side.
when its wavy...yours is probably easier because yours is more naturally wavy than mine. but i just get outta the shower and spray a little bit of this
"beach wavy" spray i have...i can't remember what brand it is but it's blue. then i twist both sides, just a big chunk and twirl it and then pull it all together and twist it and clip it like a bun in the back....a clip does better than a ponytail bun because with a ponytail it just crimps. but anyway, i'll go to work or school with it like that and let it dry out all day and then take it out when it feels dry and l just go pretty much, sometimes i have to fix a few pieces with my straightener but that's all. anyway i know this has gone on wayyy to long about hair. haha."

So based on this, here's where I am already in the healthy-hair bad zone: I've been coloring mine on a frequent basis since 10th grade (12 years now). I have tried to back off drying it, but I still have to a good bit, AND I straighten it. I'm sure all that heat doesn't help the already weak hair. So, I'm going to try her tips and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted! I'm not sure if any of you have similar hair, but if you do, maybe these tips will help you. Do any of you have great hair or know someone who does? I'm sure you do! Share your secrets in the comments. Plus, I just wanted give a nod to my cute baby sis. :)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mal is super cute! would kill for that hair, or YOUR hair for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also only dry my hair once, maybe twice a week. i usually wash it at night and sleep with it in a bun...then when i wake up i take it down and use a curling iron to give it some messy waves. i don't really put any product in it anymore and i only use conditioner once or twice a week.

    mal and you both have awesome hair!!

    ReplyDelete