Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Small self-tanning lotion test

Now that it's summer, I'm sure a lot of you are like me and are trying to obtain and maintain a tan. My husband has the luxury of having Native American in his blood, so he basically turns dark brown immediately and never EVER burns. I, on the other hand, am Irish, English, and German; thus I burn like crazy. We both know the risks of skin cancer no matter what the skin tone, so we are good about slathering/spraying on the SPF 30 all the time. He still tans though where I remain pale as a ghost. So what's a girl like me to do? Fake it.

I have recently tried two of the self tanning lotions available at drugstores. Nivea Body and Jergens Natural Glow. I have heard numerous reports of how well Jergens works, but I wanted to try the "firming moisturizer" component of the Nivea. I tried Nivea for a week, and I really didn't like it. It gave a slight color change, but the lotion was super thin and SLIMY. If I sweat with it on, it felt like it was just running down my legs...pretty gross. It also had a very strong self-tanning smell (I don't know what that stuff is, but it stinks). Now I'm using Jergens. I like it much better. It consistency is much more like regular lotion. It does not feel slimy at all, and the smell is basically non-existent. I think the color change for me is pretty slight, but enough to just have a little glow. I have seen other friends who use it and look like they have been in the tanning bed, so it may depend on how consistent you are with using it (I only put it on in the morning). I am not using it on my face. I don't think either were designed for that. They do make self tanners for the face, but I think I would break out. I just use a bronzer powder on my face.

Are there any self tanners you guys use that you love? Let me know in the comments. My vote goes to Jergens!

1 comment:

  1. I am a FIRM believer in the L'Oreal Sublime Glow self tanner. It smells like all other self tanners but gives great realistic color and is affordable!

    ReplyDelete